A traditional Mughalai recipe, mutton kofta is a delicious blend of Kofta balls made from minced meat, egg, channa powder and coriander leaves, cooked in a sea of yogurt and a myriad of spices.
- 1/2 Kg mutton (finely minced)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp chana - roasted, ground & sieved
- 2 tsp coriander - chopped
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds - soaked in water
- 15-20 garlic pods
- 1 1/2 inch piece of ginger
- 4 onions , sliced
- 4 tomatoes (skinned & pureed)
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- to taste Salt
- 1 1/2 cups yoghurt - whipped
- 1 cup oil
- 2 black cardamoms
- 1 tsp whole pepper
- 5-6 cloves
- 5 green cardamoms
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1.Grind the garlic, ginger and the poppy seeds together. Keep aside.
- 2.Heat oil in a pan and add the onions to it.
- 3.Fry till they turn brown in color.
- 4.Add a little water to it and stir.
- 5.In another pan mix the whole spices and a cup of water and simmer for 10 minutes. Keep aside.
- 6.In the onion mixture add the ginger-garlic paste and the poppy seeds mixture and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- 7.Add the coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- 8.Add the chopped tomatoes and stir.
- 9.In the meantime, mix the egg, chana powder, coriander leaves and the mutton mince with salt.
- 10.Grease hands with little oil and make small koftas and keep aside.
- 11.Add them to the onion mixture.
- 12.Strain the water from the whole spices and add to the koftas.
- 13.Bring it to a boil. Cook for about five minutes and then add yogurt.
- 14.Reduce the heat and cook for about 45 minutes.
- 15.Serve hot.