Keema Dum Email this recipe
Rustic, char grilled flavors dominate this recipe. Minced meat marinated and cooked with a range of spices in mustard oil. Dum is a style of slow cooking.
- 1/2 kg minced meat
- 2 cups onions-sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1/4 cup chopped raw papaya
- 1 Tbsp coriander seeds - roasted and powdered
- 6 cloves-roasted and powdered
- 6 green cardamom- roasted and powdered
- 1 tsp cumin seeds - roasted and powdered ]
- 1/2 tsp pieces of cinnamom - roasted and powdered
- Seeds of 1 black cardamom- roasted and powdered
- 1/2 tsp pieces of mace - roasted and powdered
- 1/8 tsp grated nutmeg
- 4 peppercorns - roasted and powdered
- 2 Tbsp mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- 2 cloves powdered
- 2 Tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- For smoking:
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 piece of coal
- 1/2 tsp ghee
- 1.Heat 1/4 cup ghee. Fry the onions till brown and crisp; remove and grind to a paste with some water.
- 2.Mix the minced meat with the ginger and garlic paste and chopped papaya.
- 3.Add the roasted and powdered ingredients and the onion paste.
- 4.Marinate for at least 2 hrs. Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan with a tight fitting lid.
- 5.Add the minced meat, salt and chilli powder, mix well, cover and cook thoroughly over low heat.
- 6.Do not stir while cooking. The fat will separate when cooked.
- 7.Before serving, set alight a piece of charcoal.
- 8.Place it in a small bowl or in an aluminium foil shaped like a cup.
- 9.Place this in the centre of the cooked minced meat, pour the 1/2 tsp ghee and the powdered clove over it and cover immediately.
- 10.Leave thus for about 5 minutes, remove the coal and bowl/foil; serve minced garnished with powdered cloves and chopped coriander leaves.